Sunday, October 30, 2005

I'll do a Halloween post when I feel like it. Get off me. Hearing a baby cry during "Rape Me" is disturbing enough, no?




Nirvana "Rape Me(demo)"

Growing up, I wasn't much of a Nirvana fan. I associated them with shitty grunge bands and, unable to put their music in the appropriate context, didn't understand what was so special about Kurt and the boys. Some of my earliest memories are of watching the "Smells like Teen Spirit" video, so I wasn't stunned by how different they were from any other mainstream rock bands. It's like growing up with cool parents; your friends might think they are hot shit, but without a day gone by in your life having not seen them, you don't know what the big deal is. Not to mention the fact that once Kurt offed himself, not an hour went by without a Nirvana song on the radio for about the next three years.

Fast forward to senior year. I'm sitting in Ms. Pryor's class, flipping through her copy of Kurt's journals, when something occurs to me. Kurt Cobain had stunningly good taste in music. His lists of favorite bands read like my list of favorite bands-- The Vaselines, Shonen Knife, Sonic Youth, The Stooges. His anti-social scribbles were like my anti-social scribbles, what with the violence and hatred of Catholicism and beady-eyed Republikkkans. And most importantly, so many of the things he wrote about and thoughts he expressed were so similar to my own thoughts that I could not believe I once scrawled "Nirvana sucks" across my folder, so tired of hearing Killing Joke's "The Eighties" slowed down, whined over, and thrown on at the end of every shitty KROQ playlist that if Kurt hadn't shot himself, I would probably have taken a bus up to Seattle and done the honors.

So yeah, Kurt was a cool dude. And the "Rape Me" demo on that box set is pretty awesome, what with Frances Bean wailing in the background. Time to throw together a Halloween post.

1 Comments:

Blogger fifbeat said...

Hey, mang.

What you said sold me. As soon as my Beach Boys obsessions ends, I'm going to do some NIRVANA exploring. Beware though, when I make myself do a "forced obsession," it usually doesn't last long.

But then again, this is not totally forced; when a NIRVANA song comes on, I never change it.

I don't know, I was just so anti-Teen Spirit.

.... I guess I just wasn't made for these times...

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home