Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Outback


Fatlip "What's Up, Fatlip?"

The Pharcyde's Fatlip flips some of the most self depricating rhymes of his career over a beat that is unlike any I have yet heard in or outside of hip-hop; antiquated turn-of-the-century piano playing through the haze of an old radio on a sunny summer morning. Every morning I force myself out of bed, wipe my eyes, yawn, scratch my balls, and slip in my earbuds. "What's Up, Fatlip?" is what will usually be coursing through my ears...either that or Gogol Bordello's "When a Trickster Comes A-Poking"...though I feel far less ashamed when hipsters overhear the former as opposed to the latter as I bop about campus looking for my girlfriend.

Am I the only one that misses Sam Keith's brilliant comic book "The Maxx"? I grew up on that book and I consider it responsible, to a large degree, for many of my enduring fascinations (parallel universes, insanity, the homeless), and were my college-age financial doldrums not at their worst, I would so try to make my own Maxx costume. As for now, I'm looking for a good bear mask. "Bi-polar bear." I'm such a genius. Why does nobody else recognize my utter BRILLIANCE?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home